I’ve been on something of a health kick as of late — nothing insane, but still enough to shake up my routines — and thought perhaps I should share a few of the small things you can do in your day to day life that will make you healthier and allow you to develop better habits over time.
- Drink a lot of water. We hear this all the time, but it’s absolutely true and vital to your body’s functioning. The majority of that wonderful person of yours is comprised of water, so make sure that it’s never thirsty!
- Get a FitBit or something similar. For me, it helps to have the reminder to make reasonably good choices just sitting on my wrist. But it also helps me to track my sleep, steps, and a number of other things. The closer you can get to 10,000 steps a day, the better!
- Go to the gym. To be honest, working out doesn’t have to be torture. Find something active you like doing, and do it a few times a week. I sort of consider the hour or so a day I spend training to be a ‘thank you’ to my body, and I find it alleviates a lot of my stress. Most people don’t enjoy it, but if you’re willing and able to make regular exercise a part of your daily (ish) routine, you should.
- Eat this, not that. This is actually a pretty simple, painless thing to implement. That is to say, when you’re given options, lean towards the healthier one 90% of the time, and indulge once in a while. For example, if you’re out to breakfast and given the choice between pancakes and eggs or oatmeal, choose the latter most of time, and the former as a treat. It’s a lot easier to maintain an overall healthy diet if you’re not depriving yourself, but if you treat yourself too often, it’s not going to do you any good. I tend to think of food as the fuel my body needs to function, and that makes it a bit easier to make the smarter choice.
- Modify your meals. This sounds a little odd, perhaps, but the gist of it is to change your meals around to make them healthier, even if only in small ways. For example, if I get a big salad, I’ll get a light Italian or vinaigrette instead of a fatty, creamy dressing. Or with a burger (which I love), I’ll take off half the bun. Replace a soda with an iced tea, or a frappuccino with an iced coffee. It’s little stuff that’s truly no big deal but can make a big difference over time.
I know some of these are intuitive, but it’s good to have a little reminder once in a while. I hope everyone is happy and healthy!