My skin and I, as is well documented on my channel and blog, have a very love-hate relationship. I generally struggle with blemishes and dryness, and this has been a constant struggle since I was about 14. However, lately I seem to have hit a bit of a smooth patch and narrowed my routine down only to the essential products that make my face happy. It has been a long road of experimentation — and I’m sure that won’t stop — but I’m supremely pleased with the results. Without further ado, here is my current product and routine rundown!
The core routine:
- Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser ($18) – I’ll be honest in saying that I didn’t really expect this cleanser to work well for my skin. It didn’t seem as though it would have enough ‘oomph’ and some of the lackluster reviews online in the beauty community had me a little concerned that I would underwhelmed. But after almost three months straight of using this cleanser exclusively, I can report that it. is. AMAZING. I bought a second bottle a few weeks ago because I was terrified of running out. It is incredibly gentle and soothing. It feels like rubbing silk on your face as you wash it. I wet my face a little before I use this product (I find that this is the best way) and massage it into my skin for about 20-30 seconds before I rinse it off and dry my face with a washcloth.
- Farmacy Green Clean Cleansing Balm ($34) – I have been using cleansing balms in lieu of facial wipes to take off my makeup for about six months now. This is by far my favorite one I’ve tried! I’ve been using it since I received it in my BoxyCharm about 3 months ago. It’s vegan and cruelty-free, which is fantastic, and the product melts away all my makeup (even mascara) easily with a bit of massaging. I use it every day that I have makeup on before I cleanse my face for the night.
- Caudalie Natural Salicylic Acid Pore Minimizing Serum ($49) – While a little pricey, I am convinced that this serum is the most important step of my skincare routine to keeping my face clear. I use one pump of it morning and night after cleansing and before moisturizer. It really makes a difference in my blemishes and has kept my face clear about 80% of the time, which is honestly the best it’s been in years. My time of the month is sort of a lost cause. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid Serum 2% + B5 ($6.80) – I don’t use this every day, but on the days where I can tell my skin is starting to get a little parched and chapped from the cold, I use about 3 drops of this after my Caudalie serum. It makes all the difference in making my skin bouncy and hydrated instead of dull and dehydrated.
- Glossier Priming Moisturizer ($22) – Much like the Glossier cleanser, I didn’t really think this product was going to work for me, especially with how prone my skin is to dryness. But once again, Glossier has surprised me. I really like this moisturizer! It’s lightweight and keeps my skin hydrated, but it isn’t heavy or greasy.
- Olehenriksen Transforming Walnut Scrub ($28) – I absolutely adore this exfoliating face scrub, and I use it once or twice a week to rejuvenate my skin. I tend to play it by ear with my skin and decide when it needs a good scrub when it looks a little dull.
- Origins Out of Trouble Face Mask ($28) – This mask is a savior for my skin. If I’m breaking out, this is absolutely the first thing I slather on my skin.
- Glossier Mega Greens Galaxy Pack Face Mask ($22) – I also love this mask for just general skin maintenance! It really helps keep my skin clear and soft. It make my face feel like velvet!
- Origins Drink Up! Intensive Overnight Mask ($28) – This mask is the cure-all for intensive dryness. My face will get fully chapped sometimes, and Origins saves the day again! I’ve been using this mask since high school, and it still works wonders four tubes later.
- Origins Clear Improvement Charcoal Honey Mask ($34) – This is the only charcoal mask in my line-up, and I don’t use it all the time. But when my skin is being cantankerous, I use this to try to clear out the congestion and soothe the redness. It leaves my skin feeling soft and supple, which is a lovely bonus for such a deeply detoxifying mask.
- Clean & Clear Persagel 10 ($6) – This is a bog standard benzoyl peroxide treatment for spots that is reliable, affordable, and effective. If I’m having a tough time with a spot, I always coat it in this gel before I go to sleep. The only downside is that it can bleach clothing and pillowcases if you don’t allow it to dry before laying down! So beware of that!
Let me know what your current skin care holy grails are!