Vaseline is one of those household staple items that literally everyone has or can pick up for a dollar at the corner store. Most of the time, people associate it with first aid because it can protect cuts, but over the years, I’ve figured out some other uses for this good stuff!
1. Lip balm: I use this all the time in place of a normal lip balm. I find that it’s more hydrating and better protects my lips from the elements. Additionally, it’s significantly more cost effective! Plus, you can get the miniature tubs that are the size of a flash drive to throw into your hand bag if you find that you never want to be without it.
* Pro-tip: Mix a little bit of red Kool-Aid powder or red food dye in with your Vaseline to create a lip stain that is still extremely hydrating and protective!
2. Strengthen your moisturizer: I like to smear some Vaseline in with my normal lotion. It makes it 10x more hydrating and leaves my skin feeling like butter
3. Face cream: When my skin is unbelievably dry or irritated or inflamed, I take a little bit of this and work it into my skin after I apply all my skin care for the night. It leaves my skin hydrated and provides a layer of protection while it heals. I had a bad chemical burn on my cheek a few weeks ago as a result of a severe allergic reaction, and this stuff saved my life. I wouldn’t say to use this every night, but even once every other week or so is a nice treat so long as you do a really thorough cleanse in the morning.
*Pro-tip: If you’re really sensitive to chlorine, apply some Vaseline to your face/body (under sunscreen, of course!). It’ll act as a barrier between your skin and the pool water to keep you from getting itchy/rash-y.
4. Skin-softening salve: I sometimes apply straight Vaseline to my heels or my elbows or my knees, where it functions as a super hydrating salve. I also have applied this heavily to my feet or hands over night (usually in the winter when my skin feels really chapped and dry) and slept with socks or gloves on to let it soak in.
5. Eyelash conditioner and growth enhancer: I often apply just a little bit of Vaseline to my lashes before I go to sleep. It makes them really soft (as I feel mascara can sometimes dehydrate them or make them sort of crispy **shudder**) and I feel like my lashes actually grow better when I do this consistently.
6. Under the eyes: Sometimes, my under eye area gets unbearably dry, and this becomes a go to for a few days. I’ve always just had really sensitive, dry skin under my eyes, but when it’s particularly bad, I’ll take a hint of this on my ring finger and pat it on from the innermost corner by the bridge of my nose to the outer corner. The hydrating properties of petroleum jelly help to restore some of the moisture. I don’t do this every night by any means, but it’s a life saver when I need it!
7. Makeup breakup: For those of you who wear really stubborn eye makeup or really dark lipstick, Vaseline can really help to rid your face of it at night. I sweep this across my lids/lips, let it work it’s magic for a moment, and then tissue it off before I cleanse!
I hope this post inspired you to give your tub of Vaseline a new lease on life!